This temple is exactly the Tien-Fei (Heaven Empress)Palace recorded in Fukien General History. It was originally located at Anping ferry where Shih-Men Primary School is situated at presently. There have been more than three hundred years since its first construction up to now.
The Matsu idol worshipped in this temple was carried from Meichou. Fukien Province of Mainland China across the sea by Cheng Cheng-Kung, the Yen Ping Prefect of Ming Dynasty, in 1661 when he advanced eastwards to take Taiwan as a foundation to resist against the Ching government. When the navy was troubled by the ebb of the tide near Luermen, the Goddess Matsu manifested herself to guide them safely to shore. Therefore, pioneer settlers constructed this temple to credit her with protecting them on their tripacross the Taiwan Strait . However, as a result of the Sino-Japanese War of 1895,the Ching government ceded Taiwan and the Pescadores territories to Japan . Right in that autumn, Japanese troops marched into Anping and devastated this fishing village.How miserable it was to see the holy land bleeding and the precious idols suffering.
It was until Taiwan's restoration to the Chinese at the end of World War Two that the reconstruction became possible.With the enthusiastic concerns of reviving the old glory for the goddess, local elders held a conference and decided to rebuild this temple. After divining to choose the residence, the rebuilding project started in 1962 and completed in 1975. Thenceforth, the gentle Matsu , patroness of seafarers and goddess of mercy, is worshipped by the people and she will give blessings to save people from trouble, danger, sickness and misfortune.